Memory foam rug pads are known for their comfort and durability, making them a popular choice for homeowners. (ok, me, I’m the homeowner)
In this blog post, I’ll break down everything you need to know about memory foam rug pads, from their benefits and features to how to choose the best one for your home. So if you’re looking for a comfortable and long-lasting rug pad, keep reading!
Best memory foam rug pad + other thick rug pad options
Memory foam rug pads are a great option for those looking for comfort and durability in their rug pads. However, recycled felt rug pads and recycled felt with natural rubber backing are excellent alternatives to memory foam rug pads for those who want to be environmentally responsible and want a soft and quiet option.
These are the three products that I recommend (and buy for myself!) for anyone looking for thick cushioning underfoot:
Recycled felt rug pads and recycled felt with natural rubber backing are excellent alternatives to memory foam rug pads for those who want a more eco-friendly and sustainable option. Felt rug pads are made from recycled materials and are biodegradable, making them a more environmentally responsible choice. They also provide good cushioning and stability for your rug, helping to extend its lifespan.
Some people might choose a felt rug pad option for their homes due to their soft and quiet nature. Felt rug pads are known for their noise-dampening qualities, making them a great choice for bedrooms, living rooms, and other quiet spaces in your home.
Even better, felt rug pads are hypoallergenic and safe for use in homes with pets or allergies, making them a more suitable choice for some people.
PRO TIP: Read my rug pad thickness guide to find the right thickness level for your home.
Common questions and helpful answers
What types of area rugs do memory foam pads work best with?
Memory foam rug pads are versatile and can work well with a wide variety of area rugs. They are especially well-suited for use with heavier rugs, such as shag, high pile, textured area rugs, and larger rugs in general. Because the Cloud Comfort (in particular) is not non-slip in nature, it works best with larger rugs or rugs that are not in high traffic areas.
What makes a memory foam rug pad different from other types of rug pads?
Memory foam pad are different from other types of rug pads in several ways:
- Material: The Cloud Comfort pad is made of viscoelastic polyurethane foam, which is a soft and flexible material that molds to the shape of your feet. Other rug pads are made of materials such as rubber, felt, or PVC.
- Cushion: Memory foam rug pads provide an extra layer of cushioning and support, which makes standing or walking on them more comfortable. They also help to reduce noise and prevent slipping.
- Durability: Memory foam rug pads are known for their long-lasting durability and resistance to wear and tear.
- Performance: Memory foam rug pads are able to distribute weight evenly and reduce pressure points, which makes them ideal for use in high-traffic areas.
- Cleaning: Memory foam rug pads are easy to clean and maintain, as they can be vacuumed or spot-cleaned as needed.
Overall, memory foam rug pads offer a unique combination of comfort, durability, and performance that sets them apart from other types of rug pads.
Are memory foam rug pads waterproof?
While memory foam itself is not waterproof, it is moisture resistant. However, it doesn’t let moisture escape quite as easily as as a felt pad, like the Eco-Plush rug pad.
How does a memory foam rug pad enhance the comfort and feel of an area rug?
A memory foam rug pad enhances the comfort and feel of an area rug in several ways:
- Cushioning (duh): The memory foam material of the rug pad provides a soft and comfortable layer of cushioning, which makes standing or walking on the area rug more enjoyable.
- Support: The memory foam rug pad helps to distribute weight evenly across the area rug, which reduces pressure points and provides additional support.
- Noise reduction: The soft and flexible nature of the memory foam helps to absorb sounds, reducing the noise levels when walking on the area rug.
- Insulation: Memory foam pads provide insulation by acting as a barrier between the cold floor and the rug, reducing heat transfer. The dense, closed-cell structure of memory foam has excellent thermal retention properties and helps to trap air within the pad, providing insulation that helps to keep your home warm.
By providing cushioning, support, noise reduction, and anti-slip benefits, a memory foam rug pad enhances the comfort and feel of an area rug, making it more enjoyable to use and improving its overall performance.
Are memory foam rug pads safe to use, especially for people with allergies?
They are generally considered safe to use for most people, including those with allergies. The viscoelastic polyurethane foam is made without toxic or allergenic substances, making it a safe option for use in homes and other environments.
However, as with any product, it’s important to carefully read the product specifications and information before making a purchase. Some memory foam rug pads may contain chemicals or substances that can cause allergies or other health problems, so it’s important to choose a memory foam rug pad made from high-quality, non-toxic materials.
This is why I only recommend the Cloud Comfort rug pad by RugPadUSA.
If you or someone in your home has severe allergies, it may be a good idea to consult with an allergist or physician before using a memory foam rug pad.
Are memory foam rug pads durable and long-lasting?
Yes! They are known for their durability and long-lasting performance. The viscoelastic polyurethane foam used in memory foam rug pads is highly resistant to wear and tear, making it a great choice for use in high-traffic areas.
They are also designed to be flexible and resilient, allowing them to bounce back after each use and maintain their shape over time. This, combined with their ability to distribute weight evenly and reduce pressure points, makes them a great choice for long-term use in any room of the home. That’s why it’s such a popular material for a mattress!
Of course, as with any product, the lifespan will depend on a number of factors, including the quality of the materials used, the frequency of use, and the care and maintenance it receives. However, when properly cared for, many memory foam rug pads can provide years of performance and comfort.
What size memory foam rug pad should I choose for my area rug?
To avoid peeking and raised corners, it’s recommended that the rug pad be one inch smaller than the area rug on all sides. For example, if you have a 8×10 area rug, the best rug pad size would be one measuring 7’10” x 9’10”. This will ensure that the pad does not show on the sides of the rug and remains securely in place.
How do I properly install a memory foam rug pad?
Installing a memory foam rug pad is a simple process that can be done in just a few steps. Here’s how to do it:
- Prepare the surface: Clean the floor where the memory foam rug pad will be installed to remove any dirt, dust, or debris.
- Lay out the pad: Unroll the memory foam rug pad and lay it out flat on the floor. Make sure that it’s centered under the area rug and positioned correctly.
- Align the rug: Align the area rug with the memory foam rug pad and place it on top. Make sure that the rug is centered and positioned correctly on the pad.
- Secure the edges: Smooth out any wrinkles or bumps along the edges of the pad and make sure it is securely in place under the area rug.
- Trim if necessary: If the rug pad is too large for the area rug, use a sharp pair of scissors to trim the excess from the edges.
By following these steps, you can properly install a memory foam rug pad and enjoy its benefits, including enhanced comfort and protection for your area rug.
Are memory foam rug pads easy to clean and maintain?
Memory foam rug pads are generally easy to clean and maintain. Here are a few tips for keeping yours in good condition:
- Vacuum your area rug regularly: Vacuum your area rug regularly to remove any dirt or debris that may have accumulated on its surface, which would otherwise sink down through the area rug and onto/into the rug pad.
- Spot clean: If there are any spills or stains on the memory foam rug pad, clean them immediately with a damp cloth and mild detergent. Avoid using excessive water, as this could damage the memory foam material.
- Allow to air out: If the memory foam rug pad begins to emit an odor, remove it from under the area rug and allow it to air out for a few hours in a well-ventilated area.
Are memory foam rug pads suitable for use on all floor types?
Memory foam rug pads can be used on most floor types, including hardwood, carpet, concrete, laminate, tile, and even luxury vinyl planking (LVP). However, it is always best to check the manufacturer’s specifications and recommendations to ensure that the memory foam rug pad is suitable for use on your specific flooring type.
In conclusion, memory foam rug pads are a versatile and effective solution for enhancing the comfort and longevity of your area rug. When choosing a memory foam rug pad, it is important to consider factors such as size, thickness, and compatibility with your flooring type. With their ability to provide extra cushioning, support, and insulation, memory foam rug pads are an excellent investment for your home. Enjoy 🙂
More About Rug Pads
- The 5 Best Rug Pads for Hardwood Floors
- How To Secure Area Rug On Top Of Carpet (The Safe Way)
- Best Non-Toxic Rug Pads Safe For Children And Pets
- How To Size A Rug Pad, Expert Tips
- The Best Memory Foam Rug Pad for Maximum Comfort
- Best soundproofing rug pads: 3 options for a quiet barrier
- This Is The Best Rug Pad For Vinyl Plank Flooring
- Rug Pad Thickness Guide: How To Choose Rug Pad Thickness