Attention all pet parents and kid wranglers!
There’s a lot of stuff out there that sure can make a home feel cozy, but off-gases toxic chemicals that are harmful to your littles.
📢 Look no further than non-toxic rug pads!
These pads are made from natural, eco-friendly materials that are free from harmful chemicals and provide slip-resistance for active households. Plus, they offer a cozy cushion for your rugs that will make both you and your furry friends happy.
In this blog post, I’ll dive into the benefits of non-toxic rug pads, how to choose the right one for your home, and even recommend some top picks to get you started.
Benefits of non-toxic rug pads
Non-toxic rug pads offer several benefits over traditional rug pads. Traditional rug pads are often made from synthetic materials and may contain harmful chemicals such as PVC, phthalates, synthetic rubber, latex, and formaldehyde.
These additives may make a comfy rug pad, but they can off-gas (evaporate) into the air over time, leading to health risks for those who breathe them in.
Non-toxic rug pads, like those made by RugPadUSA, are made from natural materials and are free of these harmful chemicals, making them safer for families with children and pets.
Non-toxic rug pads do not emit harmful fumes or odors that can irritate their respiratory systems or cause allergic reactions.
So what makes them “non-toxic”?
These family-friendly rug pads are often made from natural or organic materials that are biodegradable and sustainable. This means that they do not contribute to landfill waste and are better for the environment than harmful materials in traditional rug pads.
Some of the different types of non-toxic rug pad materials used include:
- Natural rubber rug pads: These rug pads are made from natural rubber, which is a renewable resource and plant-based. They are often slip-resistant and provide excellent cushioning.
- Felt rug pads: Felt rug pads are made from recycled materials such as wool or polyester. They are durable and offer excellent cushioning.
- Cork rug pads: Cork rug pads are made from natural cork, which is a renewable resource. They offer excellent cushioning and are hypoallergenic.
PRO TIP: Anything made from any other materials can damage your floors and off-gas harmful chemicals in your home.
How to choose a non-toxic rug pad
When choosing a non-toxic rug pad, there are several factors to consider. This is what makes a high quality rug pad and one that is safe for your home.
Here are some things to look for:
- Materials: Like I just mentioned above, non-toxic rug pads are made from natural materials such as natural rubber, felt, and cork. Be sure to check the label and product information to ensure that the materials used are indeed non-toxic and free from harmful chemicals.
- Certifications: Look for rug pads that have been certified by reputable organizations such as the GREENGUARD Certification Program or the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS). These certifications indicate that the product has been tested and meets strict environmental and health standards.
- Manufacturer’s claims: Check the manufacturer’s claims to ensure that they are consistent with the materials used and the certifications obtained. Look for claims such as “non-toxic,” “eco-friendly,” and “sustainable” to ensure that the product meets your standards.
Tips for making an informed decision:
- Read reviews: Look for customer reviews of the product to see what others have experienced. This can help you determine the product’s durability, effectiveness, and overall quality.
- Check with the manufacturer: If you have any questions or concerns about the product, contact the manufacturer directly. They can provide you with more information about the materials used, certifications obtained, and any other questions you may have.
- Consider the price: Non-toxic rug pads may be more expensive than traditional rug pads, but it’s important to remember that you are investing in the health and safety of your family and the environment. Consider the long-term benefits of using a non-toxic rug pad and whether the price is worth it for you.
By considering the materials used, certifications obtained, and manufacturer’s claims, and by reading reviews and checking with the manufacturer directly, you can make an informed decision when choosing a non-toxic rug pad for your home.
That being said, I’ve worked in the flooring industry for a few years now and so I can comfortably and confidently say that I’ve chosen the best non-toxic rug pads for your home 🙂
My top non toxic rug pad recommendations
Superior Lock and Contour Lock rug pads by RugPadUSA are my top recommendations sustainable rug pad for families with children and pets. These eco friendly rug pads are made with natural, non-toxic materials and offer a range of features that make them comfortable, safe, and durable.
These rug pads are like a cozy, plush hug for your rug, providing superior comfort that will make both you and your furry friends happy. Basically, they’ll make your rug feel softer.
Not to mention, they’re made with natural, non-toxic materials that won’t harm your loved ones or the environment.
These rug pads also offer slip-resistance, making them ideal for playrooms and high-traffic areas where you want to reduce the risk of slips and falls. And, with their durable construction, they can handle the wear and tear of even the most active households, giving you peace of mind that they’ll last for years to come.
I recommend using either of these with a thick or heavy rug, which can weigh the thick pad down, unlike a thin rug.
The best part?
These eco friendly rug pads are safe for hardwood floors.
If you want something more low profile, then a thinner rug pad is a better fit. The Nature’s Grip organic rug pad by RugPadsUSA is made of organic jute fibers and keeps area rugs in place without polluting the environment.
This eco friendly rug pad is made from a hand-woven combination of organic jute fibers and natural rubber, providing superior grip without any harmful chemicals or adhesives. Plus, its low-profile design makes it a great choice for door clearance or thin rugs that need to lie flat on the floor. With Nature’s Grip, you can extend the life of your rug, protect your flooring, and create a safe and stylish space for your family.
But I love rug pads by RugPadUSA because all of their products are non toxic. Take my quiz to find the right rug pad for your room!
Not sure which rug pad to get?
Take the quiz to get started!
Comparison with traditional rug pads
Now that we’ve got all the deets out of the way, I do want to spend a little time getting into the nitty gritty of traditional rug pads.
And why they are the worst.
Traditional rug pads are often made from synthetic fibers and materials that can contain toxic chemicals and emit harmful fumes, which can negatively impact indoor air quality…
…and be especially harmful to young children and pets. The synthetic latex for backing is the biggest culprit and are often made with PVC and other toxic chemicals, such as volatile organic compounds.
Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) are chemicals that can easily become vapors or gases, and they are commonly found in synthetic materials like rug pads. Exposure to high levels of VOCs can lead to a variety of short and long-term health effects, including respiratory issues, headaches, and even cancer.
In contrast, non-toxic rug pads are made from natural materials such as a a natural fiber, latex, rubber, felt, or cork, which are free from harmful chemicals and do not emit harmful fumes or odors. They are a safer and healthier alternative to traditional rug pads for families with children and pets.
In addition to being safer for human health, non-toxic rug pads are also better for the environment. Traditional rug pads are often made from synthetic materials that are not biodegradable and can have a negative environmental impact. Non-toxic rug pads, on the other hand, are made from natural, biodegradable materials that are sustainable and eco-friendly.
Choosing a non-toxic rug pad, free of VOCs and other harmful chemicals, can greatly reduce your family’s exposure to these dangerous compounds and improve indoor air quality.
By making the switch to a non-toxic rug pad, you’re taking an important step towards creating a safer and healthier home for you and your loved ones. 🎉
Toxin free rugs to pair with your organic rug pads
After all this effort to pick out the perfect non toxic rug pads… it makes sense that you’d also want toxin free rugs to go with them.
There are several natural and toxin-free area rugs that are safe for children and pets. Wool rugs are a popular choice for area rugs as it’s naturally stain-resistant and durable, making it a great option for high-traffic areas.
Sisal and jute rugs are also popular and are made from plant fibers that are non-toxic and eco-friendly. They have a natural texture that adds warmth and depth to a room.
Cotton rugs are another safe choice for area rugs as it’s soft, breathable, and easy to clean. Look for organic cotton rugs that are free of pesticides and chemicals.
Finally, bamboo rugs are a sustainable and non-toxic option that are both durable and easy to clean. When shopping for natural area rugs, look for certifications from reputable organizations like GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard) or OEKO-TEX, which ensure that the materials used are safe and environmentally friendly.
More About Rug Pads
- How To Secure Area Rug On Top Of Carpet (The Safe Way)
- Best Non-Toxic Rug Pads Safe For Children And Pets
- How To Size A Rug Pad, Expert Tips
- The Best Memory Foam Rug Pad for Maximum Comfort
- Best soundproofing rug pads: 3 options for a quiet barrier
- This Is The Best Rug Pad For Vinyl Plank Flooring
- Rug Pad Thickness Guide: How To Choose Rug Pad Thickness
- Can You Use A Carpet Cleaner On A Rug? It Depends.